We at Fairview Veterinary Hospital in Independence, MO, understand that bringing a dog into your home can be an exciting but also scary time. We also know that learning about how to care for your puppy can be overwhelming. Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have about vaccinations for your dog.
Why Do Puppies Need To Have So Many Shots?
When puppies feed from their mother, the milk provides the puppies with the antibodies needed to protect them from infection and disease. Over time, the protection from the mother's antibodies fades and needs to be replaced with a series of vaccines. Failure to vaccinate a puppy could lead to infectious diseases or death.
What Vaccinations Do My Puppy Needs?
Our veterinarian can tell you what vaccines your puppy will need to stay healthy and protected. Generally, we vaccinate puppies against the following diseases:
- Distemper can be fatal to puppies, and it is often difficult to diagnose. Symptoms include high temperature, respiratory issues, and even nervous system issues.
- Canine hepatitis is a viral infection that results in vomiting, an enlarged stomach, jaundice, and pain in the liver.
- Parvovirus is a highly contagious and often fatal disease. Symptoms such as vomiting, severe diarrhea, and loss of appetite can kill the puppy in just a few days.
- Leptospirosis is spread between animals and can be transmitted to humans. Liver and kidney failure, vomiting, muscle pain, and jaundice are common symptoms of leptospirosis.
- Rabies is a fatal disease for both humans and dogs. Symptoms of this disease include excessive salivation, stiff neck, and unusually aggressive behavior.
- Kennel Cough is spread between dogs and causes severe coughing.
At What Age Do I Need To Bring My Puppy To The Vet For Vaccinations?
Typically, we recommend bringing your puppy in for its first round of shots between the ages of 6 to 8 weeks. Your puppy will then need various booster shots through its first year. After the first year, your puppy will need additional boosters annually.
Don’t Delay Your Puppy’s Immunization Shoots
Call Fairview Veterinary Hospital in Independence, MO, today at (816) 257-5454 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our veterinarian.